Cold sores are sores caused by the herpes simplex virus. The herpes simplex virus is of two types, type I and II. There is not much distinction between these two, except that the type I virus invariably affects the region around the lips, while the type II virus affects the genital areas. An infection by the type I virus is commonly called a cold sore.
The herpes virus invariably causes an outbreak when the immune system is low, and since very often a person comes down with a cold when their immune system is low, most people tend to get a cold when they have a herpes infection. This is why the sores have the common name ‘cold sore’.
Almost all people are infected by the herpes virus when they are children, and 80% of people would have had an outbreak at some time in their lives. The herpes infection is incurable, although there are certain things that can be done to reduce the severity of the infection.
Home remedies for cold sores
There is very little that can be done for a cold sore. The normal treatment methods are the application of antiviral creams on the infected area or just leaving it to heal in time. Even antiviral creams do not kill the virus, and at the most, they reduce the severity of the infection. Many of these creams come with mild pain killers and therefore provide relief from pain. Most of these medications are over-the-counter drugs, and there is no need for a doctor’s prescription. Even without the application of these creams, the sore will crust over and fall off in about 10 days.
Some of the things that can be done to help relieve symptoms are as follows:
- Applying aloe vera on the infected area. Aloe vera is a broad spectrum antiviral and antibacterial agent and comes with the added benefit of being a very good moisturizer.
- Siberian ginseng is also known to provide relief from herpes infections.
- Echinacea is an herbaceous flowering plant. Echinacea is considered to be in popular tradition an immune system booster. Many people take extracts of Echinacea, believing that it will cure cold and herpes infections. Studies have not been conclusive either way.
- Propolis is a bee product and is considered an antimicrobial agent. It is believed to promote general health and strengthen the immune system. Beekeepers have a tradition of keeping propolis in the mouth as a cure for sore throats and applying it on herpes infections to relieve the symptoms.
- Lysine is an amino acid that is believed to work very well in controlling the herpes simplex virus. There are many herbal lysine products that are available that can be taken. Although once again, most of the evidence for its effectiveness is anecdotal rather than scientific.
The only recommendation for a cold sore is personal hygiene. Infected people are recommended not to touch the sore as the liquid that comes out of the sore is considered to be the source for further infection. Apart from washing their hands regularly, people are recommended to keep the sores clean and dry by applying corn starch or such natural astringents. For more info please check http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Cold-Sores.html for more details.
Join the Mailing List
Get Your FREE e-Book, “Strange Symptoms: Why You’re Always Sick and What You Can Do About It” ($20 Value)
Guest Post by: Kevin Pederson
No post with similar tags yet.
- Why Is It So Difficult To Lose Weight?
Tackling the process of losing weight can sometimes feel like an overwhelming task. Whether it be 20, 40, 60, or 100+ pounds you're itching to get rid of, crossing the initial hurdle can likely be the most difficult aspect to get past.
In order to lose weight in a healthy way, some definite changes in your...
- Foods to Lower your Cholesterol Level
Diet plays a crucial role in maintaining a proper health and cholesterol level in the body. Proper level if cholesterol is important to stay heart healthy. Some specific foods are very helpful in lowering your blood cholesterol and you can include them in your daily diet. Proper food with regular exercise can help you in...
- Heal Your Relationship with Food
In today's world, countless people face a dieting dilemma. Numerous weight-loss plans claim to be "the best" and consumers eagerly try them to slim down once and for all. Many achieve short-term success and the dieting cycle continues. However, there’s a better path to weight management and a healthy attitude towards nutrition. When you think...
- Bee Pollen for Urethral Strictures
Urinary tract infection or trauma causes urethral strictures. Sexually transmitted infections might also cause the disease. The scarring occurs because the body tries to repair the injury or infection. Straddle injury is the most common trauma injury. The scarring causes the walls of the urethra to narrow. Urethral stricture occurs mostly to men as compared...
- The Power of Stones
In many cultures around the world certain stones are thought to have powers. From ancient times to modern times these stones bring everything from health to luck to protection from disease. Though these claims have never been scientifically proven, there are still many people who think wearing or carrying these stones can improve their lives.
- 7 Tips For Buying Healthy Bread
Although many people will try and tell you differently, carbohydrates are still an incredibly important macronutrient and they are necessary to carry out necessary bodily functioning. But as you are probably well aware, the key is to choose the right types of carbohydrates. So instead of eating things like ice cream, cake and cookies, you...
- 3 of the Most Proven Home Remedies To Stop a Toothache Without a Dentist
A toothache is one of the most painful things some people will experience in their life. When you have a toothache you will feel it in just about every bone in your body. What's worse is the fact that toothaches always seem to start when your dentist's office isn't open and you can't get anybody...
- How to Reduce Your Risk of Injury at the Gym
Millions of people around the globe wake up to the fact that our modern lifestyle and eating habits are conspiring against us to make us heavier and less healthy. More people are turning to a workout plan to get themselves back into top shape. Regardless of whether you’re totally new to working out or just...
- What Causes Child Stomach Pain?
When our children are sick, we as parents are willing to do whatever it takes to make it all better. When our children suffer, we suffer as well. We can feel so helpless at times and become nearly as miserable as our children when they are faced with pains. As children can't articulate exactly how...
- Physical Effects of Depression and Anxiety
Tens of millions of people have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Many people when they think about the effects that depression and anxiety will often cause on people suffering with these disorders relate most often to the emotional anguish that people with these diagnoses often experience. Aside from the emotional suffering which can be...