Is Toxic Mold Causing Your Mystery Symptoms?

Spread the love

Article originally published by The Best Years In Life

 

Do you live with chronic allergies, unexplained pain, and debilitating fatigue? Millions struggle with mystery symptoms their doctors can make no sense of. If you’re one of them, toxic mold could be the hidden cause!

 

The most common types of mold include:

  • Cladosporium
  • Penicillium
  • Alternaria
  • Aspergillus
  • Stachybotrys chartarum and Stachybotrys chlorohalonata (Black molds)

 

Black molds are the most dangerous to your health and are commonly found in water-damaged areas of buildings and in wet basements. Black molds contain neurotoxins that have been linked to serious, long-term neurological dysfunction.

 

In this article, I will show you the most common symptoms of mold sensitivity. In the second article, I will show you where to find mold lurking in your home. In the last article, I will show you how to get rid of toxic mold naturally.

 

Let’s get started by looking at the 10 most common symptoms of mold sensitivity:

 

1. Numbness and tingling

 

 

The neurotoxins produced by mold can cause numbness and tingling in your extremities. If you’ve ever had a foot “fall asleep” due to sitting on it wrong, you know how strange and uncomfortable it feels when the blood rushes back. If you’re being affected by toxic mold, the numbness and tingling you’re feeling could be a warning sign of neurological damage.

 

Research shows that individuals with chronic toxic mold exposure are vulnerable to vitamin B12 deficiency. Your body needs vitamin B12 to make DNA, nerves, and blood cells. If your body does not have enough of this critical nutrient, it can cause serious neurological and mental impairment.

 

According to a case report published in the French journal, Encephale, patients with vitamin B12 deficiency can show signs of depression, mania, and psychosis.

 

2. Upper respiratory problems

 

 

If you’re prone to sinus infections, excessive mucus in your throat, have a dry and hacking cough, or experience tightness in your chest, you may have an allergy to mold.

 

According to the CDC, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found evidence that indoor mold exposure can cause upper respiratory problems for those susceptible to asthma. Exposure to mold has also been linked to respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.

 

3. Learning and memory problems

 

 

Brain fog, memory problems, and difficulty concentrating are so common, many chalk these symptoms up to stress, lack of sleep, or age. However, they could also be a sign of toxic mold exposure.

 

In a 2003 study conducted by the Environmental Health Center-Dallas, nervous system challenges were observed in every single study participant exposed to mold. That’s 100 out of 100. A significant portion of the participants who were exposed to mold also presented with abnormalities in their brain SPECT scans.

 

4. Blurry vision

 

 

When black mold mycotoxins come into contact with your eyes, they kill the cells within, which can lead to inflammation, injury, and vision problems.

 

5. Light sensitivity

 

 

Light sensitivity, also known as ‘photophobia’, is linked to a malfunction of the nervous system.

 

Warning: If any of your senses are more sensitive than you’re used to (lights are too bright, sound is too loud, touch is irritating), it could be a sign that toxic mold is slowly destroying your nervous system!

 

6. Autoimmune disease

 

 

If you’ve been diagnosed with any type of autoimmune disease, it is critical that you check your home and work surroundings for mold. According to the American Medical Association Journal of Ethics, molds and mycotoxins have been linked to the development of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.

 

7. Recurring headaches

 

 

If you’re sensitive to mold, your sinuses can become chronically inflamed and congested, leading to recurring headaches that concentrate in the forehead and below the eyes.

 

Furthermore, toxic mold may be what’s causing your migraine headaches. Research suggests that immune system cells sensitive to mold will release chemicals that cause the blood vessels in your head to swell, triggering a migraine.

 

8. Skin rash

 

 

Recurrent skin rash is another telltale sign of mold sensitivity. When you come into physical contact with mold, you develop histamine bodies as a defense mechanism.

 

The most common way this occurs is during yard work when you’re exposed to wet leaves and dirt. The rash usually originates at the point of contact and spreads from there.

 

9. Muscle and joint pain

 

 

Research shows that the joint pain caused by long-term mold exposure is nearly identical to the pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalgia. This can lead to a misdiagnosis and a prescription for painkillers.

 

As long as you remain in the mold-contaminated environment, your muscle and joint pain will persist. Meanwhile, your body will build up a tolerance to pain medication and, over time, the drugs won’t work as well.

 

Plus, the source of the problem is still right there, lurking silently in your environment, making you sicker and weaker by the day.

 

10. Fatigue

 

 

There are dozens of reasons you might feel exhausted all the time. One of them is long-term toxic mold exposure. If you inhale and/or come into contact with mold on a regular basis, your immune system will be in a constant state of “fight or flight”.

 

Over time, this non-stop immune system response can lead to autoimmune disease and chronic fatigue.

 

If sensitivity to mold is what’s causing your mystery symptoms, you’re actually in luck. Now, all we have to do to get your health back on track is figure out where it is and get rid of it!

 

Head on over to The Best Years In Life to read the second and third articles in this 3-part series.

 

Read part 2 of 3: “Top Warning Signs of Mold in Your Home”

 

Read part 3 of 3: “How to Get Rid of Mold Naturally”

 

 

 


Similar Articles



About Author: Jaime A. Heidel