You’re sick, you know something is wrong with you, but nobody believes you. No matter what you do, you can’t explain why you’re suddenly plagued by headaches, fatigue, weakness, and concentration problems.
Joint pain and skin issues haunt you without any detectable source. It doesn’t seem to matter what you eat, your stomach hurts, you feel nauseous, and your bowel habits have changed.
Even your mood is off.
These symptoms are a mystery, even for your doctor, because your tests keep coming back “normal”, even though what you’re experiencing is anything but.
The symptoms you’re living with aren’t all in your head. In fact, they could be in your home. All of the symptoms mentioned above are just a handful of signs of hidden mold in your home.
Symptoms of Mold Sensitivity
Mold sensitivity can cause a plethora of body reactions and symptoms.
Let’s break them down into different groups:
- Painful symptoms: You may experience headaches, joint pain and morning stiffness, sharp pain in your eyes, and abdominal pain with diarrhea and bloating.
- Nervous symptoms: Hidden mold may also affect your nervous system and cause chronic fatigue and weakness, concentration problems and poor memory, disorientation, anxiety, insomnia, mania, and light-headedness.
- Other symptoms: In some, mold sensitivity can mimic other diseases. It might cause skin problems, sinus congestion, difficulty breathing, wheezing and cough, unusual changes in your body temperature, blurry vision, and vertigo.
Where Mold May Be Hiding In Your Home
The most common cause of mold exposure comes from living in a water-damaged building. If you live in an apartment or other shared building, you might not even notice this, especially if the mold is located in another apartment or in the basement.
However, if you live in a single-family home, you might be being exposed to mold mycotoxins in your environment because these dangerous intruders like to grow on any surface with cellulose. This means wood, paper, dust, and just about anything that has been in contact with moisture.
We are constantly exposed to molds because they are outdoors, as well. If you really struggle with fall allergies, this could be an indication that you are sensitive to mold.
When mold is concentrated indoors, it can grow and infiltrate your home, silently releasing spores that slowly make you sick over a period of time.
If you believe that’s what’s happening to you, you need to detect and clean up the hidden sources of mold in your home immediately.
How to Detect Mold In Your Home
The first thing you should ask yourself is whether or not you can detect a moisture source in your house. You’ll know there’s elevated moisture around if you frequently notice musty odors, if your home has been flooded, or if you notice water damage on the walls or discoloration in the air vents of your building.
If the source of mold isn’t immediately obvious, you may want to invest in a mold detection kit. They are safe and easy to use, and you’ll discover if your home is infested with mold (and where it’s located) within 48 hours.
How to Reduce Mold Sensitivity Symptoms Naturally
The first thing to do is to remove the mold (or have it removed by professionals) or, if you are unable to do that, remove yourself from the environment. It might seem like a difficult transition, especially if you’re already sick, but until you get away from the mold, your symptoms will not improve.
You can reduce your mold sensitivity symptoms naturally by using charcoal or clay to bind the mycotoxins from molds and remove them from your gastrointestinal tract.
It is also advisable to avoid foods that contain mycotoxins as well, such as corn, rye, wheat, gluten, peanuts, wine, and beer.
Moreover, wear a dust mask every time you dig up plants, mow the lawn, or make piles of damp leaves. If you have air conditioning, remove the filters and clean them regularly, and keep alert for any sign of humidity or excessive dust, especially in your bathroom and basement area.
You may also wish to invest in a dehumidifier for your basement or other damp area of your home. Additionally, an air purifier may help reduce your symptoms and prevent them from returning.
Mold in your home may be responsible for your chronic illness, and it could be lurking just out of sight, remaining undetected for years. The sooner you find and get rid of mold, the faster you’ll be able to get rid of symptoms and get on with your life!
Download Your Free eGuide on Toxic Mold Now!
Exposure to toxic molds from water damaged buildings is very, very common (and completely underdiagnosed). At least 50% of homes and 60% of commercial buildings — churches, schools, dorms as well as office buildings — have had some kind of water issue.
With at least 20% of the population being very susceptible to mycotoxin illness, no wonder there’s an epidemic of chronic mystery illnesses going on!
In this informative guide to mold and biotoxin illness:
- Discover how to identify symptoms and diseases associated with mold
- Receive lab- and home-testing recommendations, and neuroplasticity strategies
- And, the important steps to follow on your journey to recovery
Also, be sure to join us on January 28 for the start of the free, online Toxic Mold Project — over 30+ experts learning to identify and treat exposure.
Nevalainen, A., Täubel, M., & Hyvärinen, A. (2015). Indoor fungi: companions and contaminants. Indoor air, 25(2), 125-156.
Prussin, A. J., & Marr, L. C. (2015). Sources of airborne microorganisms in the built environment. Microbiome, 3(1), 78.
Salonen, H., Duchaine, C., Mazaheri, M., Clifford, S., Lappalainen, S., Reijula, K., & Morawska, L. (2015). Airborne viable fungi in school environments in different climatic regions–A review. Atmospheric Environment, 104, 186-194.
Portnoy, J. M., & Jara, D. (2015). Mold allergy revisited. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 114(2), 83-89.
Photo of woman in mask courtesy of Ani Kolleshion/Unsplash
Photo of person on couch courtesy of Rex Pickar/Unsplash